WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump will sign an executive order on Thursday to sanction the International Criminal Court (ICC) for targeting the United States and its allies, such as Israel, a White House official said.
The order will impose financial and visa sanctions on individuals and their family members who assist in ICC investigations of US citizens or US allies, the official added.
Trump’s move comes after US Senate Democrats last week blocked a Republican-led effort to sanction the ICC in protest at its arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former defense minister. Netanyahu is currently visiting Washington.
The ICC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The court has taken measures to shield staff from potential US sanctions, paying salaries three months in advance, as sources told Reuters last month that it was bracing for financial restrictions that could cripple the war crimes tribunal.
In December, the court’s president, Judge Tomoko Akane, warned that sanctions would “rapidly undermine the Court’s operations in all situations and cases, and jeopardize its very existence.”
This is the second time the court has faced US retaliation as a result of its work. During the first Trump administration in 2020, Washington imposed sanctions on then-prosecutor Fatou Bensouda and one of her top aides over the ICC’s investigation into alleged war crimes by American troops in Afghanistan.
The 125-member ICC is a permanent court that can prosecute individuals for war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide, and the crime of aggression against the territory of member states or by their nationals. The United States, China, Russia, and Israel are not members.