The Maharashtra Congress has made it clear that any decision on bringing a new partner into the state’s ruling alliance will rest with the INDIA bloc, not just the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA).
State Congress chief Harshwardhan Sapkal, speaking at a press conference on Saturday, said the party would not associate with any group that promotes religious or communal polarisation.
His comments come amid growing speculation about a possible alliance between Uddhav Thackeray’s Shiv Sena (UBT) and Raj Thackeray’s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) — a move that has stirred political chatter across the state.
Sapkal told The Hindu:
“Constitutional values and secularism are non-negotiable for Congress. If anyone wishes to join the alliance, they must align with those values.”
He clarified that there has been no official proposal from MNS so far and that the INDIA bloc — a national coalition of opposition parties — would collectively decide on any new entrants.
Political observers say Congress’s firm stance underscores internal caution within the INDIA bloc, especially in a politically volatile state like Maharashtra, where identity politics and coalition equations are constantly shifting.
The statement is also seen as a subtle reminder to allies that Congress will not compromise its secular identity — even as regional players explore new partnerships ahead of the 2026 assembly elections.

